Invitation to all Prescott-Russell Artists
Please note registration has been suspended while the committee takes a break. Please see the home page for a more information.
- Visual artists who produce works of art in any medium, including, but not limited to: painting, drawing, sculpture, installation art, ceramics, stained glass, artistic photography, etc.; artisans in textile arts (art quilting, weaving, original clothing, etc.), woodworking, jewelry designers, etc. are also welcome.
- Create original art works;
- Reside, or have resided, in the Prescott-Russell region.
Artists may participate in two ways:
- By displaying your artwork in your studio located in the Prescott – Russell region;
- By participating in an exhibition with other selected artists (maximum 3) in a location approved by the committee (one site per region).
Artists Selection Criteria
- The artist must present original works of art:
- An authentic piece of art is one that expresses the emotions, interests, vision and subjects of interest to the artist. It is not copied from any known works of art or photos, nor from any published sources such as books, magazines, post cards, calendars, newspapers, invitations or other. Only an artist’s own photos and sketches can become the catalyst for creating an original piece of art.
- An original work of art tells a story of inspiration: by a subject or object (landscape, still life, people, cities, buildings, bottles, a stray shoe or a stray cat etc), by a composition (lines, colors, texture, space, form and mass), or by the principles of composition (unity, harmony, repetition, symbolism), by a concept (truth, ecology, justice, women in the world) or guided by materials or techniques.
- The artist must have substantial artwork to make the trip interesting for the public.
- The area where your artwork will be displayed must be safe for visitors.
- Owners of the site must hold sufficient liability insurance coverage of at least two million dollars and complete the information to that effect on the registration form. It is possible to get extra coverage for the weekend of ARTour only.
- The artist must be present at the pre and post event meetings -(see dates below).
- We ask that each artist do a couple or hours of volunteer work for the ARTour (tasks will be presented during the general assembly of Febuary 26, 2017.)
- The artist must respect the regulations set forth by the organizing committee:
- Only the selected artist having satisfied to all the registration requirements may exhibit on the site identified. ARTour’s mandate is the promotion of regional artists and their work. No other cause, as good as it may be, should use ARTour as a springboard on the site of the selected artist;
- Bilingualism must be provided on site;
- The artist ensures that each visitor has his/her passport.
Participation fee :
- The 2017 ARTour Prescott-Russell participation fee of $250 per artist will go towards promotional materials (brochures and brochure distribution, newspaper, radio advertisements, etc.). Artists keep 100% of any sales they make.
- Reduce the fee by finding a sponsor that will share in the costs by contributing $100 or more towards ARTour. The name of your sponsor will appear on all promotional material and Web site. The advertising space alloted to the sponsor will be in proportion to the amount the sponsor donates. See the sponsor registration form for more details.
What you get for your $250 contribution:
- An artist profile on this website with links to your website and social media
- A full color brochure; 10,000 copies distributed to locations around Prescott-Russell and neighbouring regions.
- A sign with the event logo to be placed outside your studio on the weekend of the tour and road signs to direct the public to your location.
- Advertising in newspapers, radio, tourism publications, etc
Dates relating to the 2017 event:
- January 15, 2017 at midnight – deadline to receive the registration forms accompanied by all requested material and cheque for $250.
- January 16, 2017 – First selection of artists based on the submitted material.
- January 21 to January 29, 2017 – Tour of the pre-selected artists’ studios and evaluation of artwork by the selection panel. Selected artists whose studios are not suitable for a public exhibit will be invited to showcase their work in a group location(to be approved by the committee – limit of one site per region, maximum 3 artists).
- January 31, 2017 – Announcement of selected artists
- February 26, 2017 – General Assembly – ARTour membership
- August 26, 2017 – Pre-ARTour meeting to give out promotional material to the artists
- September 30 & October 1, 2017 – ARTour Weekend !
- October 15, 2016 – Post-ARTour meeting to return tour material
Passport – Young Artists Scholarships
Passport: $5 /adult. The passport, purchased at the first site visited, gives access to all of the artistic venues. Through the Young Artists Scholarship Fund, the ARTour Committee wishes to encourage youth from Prescott-Russell high schools who are talented in the visual arts field. The ARTour committee will offer three scholarships of $500 each to students from the Prescott-Russell region who register to a full-time visual or graphic arts program (college or university) in September 2017.
How to Apply